You have no items in your shopping cart.
Constipation: Causes, Prevention, and Treatment Info:
By the conclusion of this program the participant will be able to:
- Define the term constipation.
- Recognize the symptoms of constipation.
- Discuss common misconceptions and truths about constipation.
- Explain how the healthy digestive system works.
- Name the common causes of constipation.
- Describe the different types and categories of constipation.
- Contrast the differences between constipation, fecal impaction, irritable bowel syndrome, and Hirschsprung disease.
- Discuss common examinations and tests used to diagnose the causes of constipation symptoms.
- Explain why and how to complete a constipation/elimination record.
- Explain the ways to minimize constipation problems.
- Discuss the common medications and treatments for constipation.
- Identify the preventative measures, medications, and/or treatments that require a physician’s order.
- Discuss constipation symptoms, prevention, and treatment as it relates to specific demographic or special populations.
- Explain how caregivers can help those for whom they are responsible.
- A. Definition of constipation
- 1. History
- 2. How constipation is measured
- a. Bristol Stool Chart
- 3. Misconceptions and truths
- 4. Epidemiology
- B. The healthy digestive system
- C. Causes of constipation
- D. Categories of constipation
- 1. Functional
- 2. Idiopathic
- 3. Acute
- 4. Chronic
- E. Fecal impaction
- F. Other constipation-related diseases
- 1. Irritable bowel syndrome
- 2. Hirschsprung disease
br /> Hour Two
- A. Examinations and tests for constipation
- B. Monitoring constipation
- 1. Constipation/elimination record
- C. Prevention and treatment
- 1. Eat wisely
- 2. Get exercise
- 3. Stay hydrated
- 4. Observe routines and other lifestyle habits
- D. Medications and treatments
- 1. Medications
- 2. Over-the-counter medications
- 3. Alternative products and treatments
- 4. Surgery
- A. Constipation in special populations
- 1. Infants
- 2. Children
- 3. Elderly
- 4. Special service population
- B. How caregivers can help
- C. Case studies
Online Final Exam
Sandi Flores, RN
Sandra Flores, RN is a respected educator, consultant, and published author for the Assisted Living industry. Sandi is past president of the American Assisted Living Nurses Association representing the organization in Washington, DC as a board member of the Center for Excellence in Assisted Living. She serves as a consultant on resident care with over 3000 beds under clinical management. She also provides expert witness for legal review to industry providers. As an educator, Sandi has instructed more than twenty thousand residential care administrators and caregivers throughout the western United States. Sandi also co-authors a monthly column in the magazine Geriatric Nursing.
|Course Type||Online Course|