You have no items in your shopping cart.
Managing the Physical Environment Info:
This self-paced online course will focus on the physical environment of residential care and assisted living. In this course we will address topics pertaining to effectively managing the physical environment in assisted living, as well as important issues an administrator may face in residential care and assisted living settings. We will discuss specific models of care, such as: an aging debate; hospitality model; social model; and medical model. We will address both state and local regulations as well as safety and security requirements.
- 1. Discuss various models of care, including: aging, hospitality, medical and social models.
- 2. Address state and local regulations.
- 3. Understand safety and security requirements in assisted living and residential care.
- 4. Develop strategies to maintain safe and appealing physical environment of the care community.
- 5. Identify preventive and routine maintenance as well as sanitation
By the end of this course the participant will be able to:
- 1. Introduction
- 2. Models of care
- a. Social model
- b. Medical model
- c. An aging debate…
- d. Hospitality model
- 3. Regulatory considerations
- a. State-wide regulations
- b. Zoning Requirements/building codes
- c. Fair Housing Act
- d. Americans with Disabilities Act
- i. Provides guidelines for accessibility
- ii. Application to Assisted Living
- e. Occupational Safety and Health Act
- i. Laws to protect employees
- ii. Notice to employees
- iii. Safety equipment
- iv. Injury and illness prevention program
- v. Infection control program
- f. National Fire Protection Agency
- 4. Safety and Security Requirements
- a. Train all staff
- b. Maintenance and repairs
- c. Wandering and elopement
- i. Protocols
- ii. Exit alerts/monitoring devices
- d. Lighting/Security guard
- e. Local law enforcement
- f. Entrances and exits
- 5. Disaster and emergency preparedness
- a. Policies and procedures
- i. Communication
- ii. Chain of command
- iii. Evacuations
- iv. Shelter
- v. Special Considerations
- b. Transfer/relocation
- c. Staff training
- d. Communication
- 6. Maintenance
- a. Grounds maintenance
- b. Preventative and routine maintenance
- i. Identify equipment
- ii. Schedule
- iii. Person in charge of maintenance
- c. Sanitation and pest control
Instructor: Josh Allen, RN; Laura Gumban, LVN; Anne Zimmerman, RN
Josh Allen is a Registered Nurse with over 20 years of experience in senior living. As the Director of InTouch at Home, Josh oversees all aspects of business development, care, services, and operations for the organization. As a part of the SRG Senior Living family of companies, InTouch at Home delivers personalized care and services to clients living in senior living communities as well as private residences across three states.
Josh also serves on the board of the American Assisted Living Nurses Association, and represents AALNA on the boards of the Center for Excellence in Assisted Living and Coalition of Geriatric Nursing Organizations. Josh has previously served as President and CEO of Care and Compliance Group, a leading training solutions provider.
Laura Gumban, LVN is currently the Resident Care Coordinator at the Eskaton Lodge Brentwood in Brentwood California. There, she is responsible or budget maintenance; she is a liaison with the medical community; she interviews, hires, schedules, and supervises clinical staff; she completes resident assessments and quarterly evaluations; and is the director of nursing duties.Laura has been with Eskaton Lodge Brentwood since 2006. Previously she was an MDS Nurse for the Elmhaven Care Center in Stockton, California and was a MDS/TILES Nurse at Heritage Oakes Estates in Balliger Texas.
Anne Zimmerman, RN has worked for Community Education, LLC in California since 2003. There she is responsible for teaching state approved re-certification courses to administrators of group homes; adult residential facilities; and residential care facilities for the elderly. Her background is in consulting, training, and directing care.
|Course Type||Online Course|